Residents in Edmonton, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Red Deer and Grande Prairie have submitted reports of door-to-door building inspectors demanding access to the residential HVAC systems or face fines. They are then recommending furnace repair or replacement.
The Calgary Police Service (CPS) has issued a warning about the furnace scam, stating that the door-to-door salespeople are implying they are conducting government-sanctioned furnace inspections or inspections of other related systems, like hot water tanks, to gain entry into the home.
What is the Edmonton Furnace Scam?
Once the salespeople gain access to the home, they inspect the furnace and air conditioner units and claim to find problems with the furnace and aggressively try to sell the homeowner new ones.
The police are working with the City of Edmonton to investigate these incidents and request that anyone who has experienced a similar incident to report it to the non-emergency line.
Protect yourself from a Furnace Service Scam
It’s important to remember that Edmonton furnace companies or city building inspectors do not often go door-to-door, and will never demand access to your home without a previously set appointment. City inspectors and Edmonton furnace repair companies will always have a form of identification and drive marked company vehicles.
If or when a furnace repair company does arrive at your home, ensure the contractor is licensed and insured. If you have booked a furnace inspection and discover your furnace does not meet safety codes and you need to replace your furnace, you can always check with the company and the city to verify the information.
Make an Informed Decision when choosing an Edmonton Furnace Repair Company
Here are a few more tips for you when choosing an Edmonton furnace repair company to inspect, install or repair your residential HVAC system. There are a number of websites that will give you details to ensure you are working with a reputable Edmonton HVAC company. These details include:
- Ensuring the furnace repair company has no credit issues based on the credit reports that we monitor
- Ensuring the business has few or no legal issues relative to their competitors
- Comparing the number of customer complaints relative to their competitors
- Whether the company is a member of the better business bureau with a rating of A- or higher
- That the company can provide a current copy of their insurance
- That the company can provide a current copy of their WCB or WSIB if applicable
- That the company can provide a current copy of their Business License if applicable.
As always, if you have any questions about how to deal with a door-to-door salesperson or how to find the right furnace repair company, please do not hesitate to contact Furnace Solutions. We are happy to help!